Topics

Standard 16mm 2K scanning advice - SPIRT or HDR Scanity

 

Hi everyone, having my standard 16mm Vision3 500T footage scanned by Cinelab London as either SPIRIT 2K log scan or HDR Scanity 2K log scan and given the 40% difference in cost I was wondering if you could talk about the differences in these and which you recommend I go for as I cant find comparison footage online anywhere.....

Obviously the advantage would come of my standard 16mm film IMAGE area was scanned to 2048 x 1556 pixels to take advantage of the 2K scan - not a scan at 2049 x 1080pixels giving me a pillar box and the sprockets on the sides...dont know if Cinelab will do this off the bat....waiting for a Tech to get back to me

Thanks for any advice and help....

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar
T: +34 667661936

Justin Lovell
 

Hey Stephen, 

We recently updated our lasergraphics 5k scanstation to do HDR 2 pass. The results are significantly better. Especially in color negative in highlights.  It allows the sensor to be optimized for both the highlight and shadow details.  Giving you a much cleaner image respectively.  (overexposed images and highlights will have less chance of color noise if you have to dig into them).

I can send you some samples of the differences we've seen.  Send an email back to me directly or follow the contact page on our website. 

I've been rescanning most of my personal projects in HDR 5k downsampled to 2k. (for finer detailed grain and sharpness). 

Happy shooting film! 

Justin Lovell 
Associate Member Canadian Society of Cinematographers 
Www.framediscreet.com 
8/16/35 5k/HDR film scans

dhisur@...
 

Hello,

I would recommend scanning to 2048x1556 DPX RGB 16-bit Log/flat throught the DFT Scanity.
I have been scanning my Vision3 35mm footage through Scanity at FotoKem and the results are just great.
In my understanding the the full range from D-min to D-max of Vision3 cannot be handled (at the same time) by the Spirit Datacine.

Best regards,

Daniel Henríquez Ilic
Filmmaker / Photographer
Technical Consultant
Fotoquímica Films SpA

Santiago de Chile

Ted Langdell
 

Hi Justin,

So this requires two runs through the scanner in order to achieve?

Ted

Ted Langdell
tedlangdell@...
(530)301-2931

Dictated into and Sent from my iPhone, which is solely responsible for any weird stuff I didn't catch.

On Apr 27, 2018, at 7:05 AM, Justin Lovell <just.love.film@...> wrote:

We recently updated our lasergraphics 5k scanstation to do HDR 2 pass.

Justin Lovell
 

Hey Ted, 

This does not require running the film twice. It runs at half speed and does 2 flashes per frame and combines them using some smart engineering on their end in the software. 



Justin Lovell 
Cinematographer || Storyteller

Associate Member, Canadian Society of Cinematographers 

Talk: M. 416.803.1101 / O. 416.901.5332 
Reel: www.justinlovell.com
Social: @justin_lovell

°sent with tpyos from my moible

Ted Langdell
 

Thanks!

Ted

Ted Langdell
tedlangdell@...
(530)301-2931

Dictated into and Sent from my iPhone, which is solely responsible for any weird stuff I didn't catch.

On Apr 27, 2018, at 7:26 AM, Justin Lovell <just.love.film@...> wrote:

Hey Ted,

This does not require running the film twice. It runs at half speed and does 2 flashes per frame and combines them using some smart engineering on their end in the software.

Justin Lovell
Cinematographer || Storyteller

 

Thanks for this Justin….would be great to see footage indeed…..have emailed you!!

Stephen Perera
Gibraltar
T: +34667661936

On 27 Apr 2018, at 16:05, Justin Lovell <just.love.film@...> wrote:

Hey Stephen, 

We recently updated our lasergraphics 5k scanstation to do HDR 2 pass. The results are significantly better. Especially in color negative in highlights.  It allows the sensor to be optimized for both the highlight and shadow details.  Giving you a much cleaner image respectively.  (overexposed images and highlights will have less chance of color noise if you have to dig into them).

I can send you some samples of the differences we've seen.  Send an email back to me directly or follow the contact page on our website. 

I've been rescanning most of my personal projects in HDR 5k downsampled to 2k. (for finer detailed grain and sharpness). 

Happy shooting film! 

Justin Lovell 
Associate Member Canadian Society of Cinematographers 
Www.framediscreet.com 
8/16/35 5k/HDR film scans