Topics

30.5mm filters for cooke 18-100mm

Benjamin Dell
 

Hi All-

Does anyone know of or have a source for the behind the lens glass filters that were designed for the cooke 18-100mm zoom? I already tried ZGC and Tiffen with no luck. I have the holder but just can't find the actual filters themselves. Really just looking for an ND 3 and 6.

Thanks!

-
benji dell
cinematographer
los angeles, ca
benjidell.com

Darryl Wood
 

Kodak use to make filters of all types on a film that was pretty thin. As an AC back 20 years I use to just cut it out to fit the shape of the holder and stick it in the holder or even on the rim of the lens with nail polish. Never failed.

 

Darryl Wood

Spinning Mirror

Australia

Mobile: +61 409 690 406

 

 

 

From: <cml-glass@...> on behalf of Benjamin Dell <b@...>
Reply-To: <cml-glass@...>
Date: Tuesday, 30 October 2018 at 3:12 pm
To: <cml-glass@...>
Subject: [cml-glass] 30.5mm filters for cooke 18-100mm

 

Hi All-

Does anyone know of or have a source for the behind the lens glass filters that were designed for the cooke 18-100mm zoom? I already tried ZGC and Tiffen with no luck. I have the holder but just can't find the actual filters themselves. Really just looking for an ND 3 and 6.

Thanks!

-
benji dell
cinematographer
los angeles, ca
benjidell.com

Chris
 

Kodak does continue to make Wratten filters. New line is Wratten 2. They are still called "No. 96" for the ND line.
I still have my 75mm and 150mm sizes from the 80's
Links below for types and ordering. Good Luck!


https://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/lab_and_post_production/kodak_filters/wratten_2_filters/default.htm

https://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Products/Product_Information/default.htm

Timur Civan
 

I cleaned ZGC out about 7 years ago. 

The filters I had, a few ND and a few nets, went with the zoom when it sold. 

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 1:17 AM Chris via Cml.News <ohnsdoc=yahoo.com@...> wrote:
Kodak does continue to make Wratten filters. New line is Wratten 2. They are still called "No. 96" for the ND line.
I still have my 75mm and 150mm sizes from the 80's
Links below for types and ordering. Good Luck!


https://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/lab_and_post_production/kodak_filters/wratten_2_filters/default.htm

https://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Products/Product_Information/default.htm

--
Timur Civan
Director of Photography 
www.timurcivan.com
917-589-4424

Mako Koiwai
 

We did a world wide search a number of years ago, to try and supplement my ND .3,.6,.9 and 85.

We found one ND 1.2 at a Tiffen warehouse … which is just what we wanted … but nothing else turned up.

As you know, these are ultra thin and can’t be replaced by say cutdown 40.5’s.

My two 18/100’s both came with internal gel holders … and extra “stages” for mounting ND’s. That’s the best one can hope for these days.

Hmmmmm … I’m wondering if one could have the mount threaded for 40.5 … and then recalibrate the lens for that thickness filter. Always have to keep a filter in place, ie. a Clear when not using something else.

The Angie 17/102 zoom DID use 40.5’s … and we always thought adding a filter diminished resolution with it. Perhaps the lens needed to be collimated with a clear in place?

I always thought the 18/100 was THE Perfect general zoom. But these days I would say it’s bokeh is coarse compared to newer designs.


makofoto, s. pasadena, ca

Dwight Lindsey
 

I wonder how much demand there is for these filters?

If we could put together interest for at least 10 each of 4 or 5 ND values, we could make these.

I'd need to borrow a filter to measure . . .

Dwight

Dwight Lindsey
President
Lindsey Optics, LLC
www.lindseyoptics.com

Mark Sasahara
 

Would Kodak Wratten filters work? They are very thin.

I know some still lenses with built-in filter holders, always had to have a filter in the light path to keep the optics correct. The Nikon manual focus 300mm f/2.8 was one. I took a removable 39mm glass filter and also had a gel filter holder, as well. Either one had to be used. It needed something in the optical path.

Would it be worth it to try and find optical gelatin filters, or Nikon/Canon filters for internal lenses? Not sure if they're thinner than normal filters. 

-Mark Sasahara, DP, NYC

Mark Sasahara
  marksasahara@...
   718-440-1013
    http://msasahara.com



On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 2:57 PM Mako Koiwai <mako1foto@...> wrote:
We did a world wide search a number of years ago, to try and supplement my ND .3,.6,.9 and 85.

We found one ND 1.2 at a Tiffen warehouse … which is just what we wanted … but nothing else turned up.

As you know, these are ultra thin and can’t be replaced by say cutdown 40.5’s.

My two 18/100’s both came with internal gel holders … and extra “stages” for mounting ND’s. That’s the best one can hope for these days.

Hmmmmm … I’m wondering if one could have the mount threaded for 40.5 … and then recalibrate the lens for that thickness filter. Always have to keep a filter in place, ie. a Clear when not using something else.

The Angie 17/102 zoom DID use 40.5’s … and we always thought adding a filter diminished resolution with it. Perhaps the lens needed to be collimated with a clear in place?

I always thought the 18/100 was THE Perfect general zoom. But these days I would say it’s bokeh is coarse compared to newer designs.


makofoto, s. pasadena, ca

Mako Koiwai
 

Yes, my 18/100’s came with gel holders and extra stages to pre-mount gels, but nothing as convenient as the 30.5’s. You could use two at a time, so 85 plus which ever ND you needed. 


Makofoto, s. pas, ca

Jeff Barklage
 

Dwight,
I have a set of these filters if you need to barrow to pull measurements from, is also have a speacial Wratten filter Punch/cutter for the 18-100 as well.


On Tuesday, October 30, 2018, Dwight Lindsey <dwight@...> wrote:
I wonder how much demand there is for these filters?

If we could put together interest for at least 10 each of 4 or 5 ND values, we could make these.

I'd need to borrow a filter to measure . . .

Dwight

Dwight Lindsey
President
Lindsey Optics, LLC
www.lindseyoptics.com



--
cheers,
Jeff Barklage, s.o.c.
www.barklage.com
agent: Orlando Agency http://orlando-agency.com