Topics

Canon Cine-servo 50-1000mm

Phil Bates
 

Any one one the group have experience with this lens?  Would love to hear your thoughts.  Several questions:  

Is this lens sharp enough for the Helium 8K sensor?

At 1000mm would it be stable using a Shotover mounted to a helicopter?

Would you use it for shooting full frame fissure 8 eruption shots knowing that you can’t get closer than 3000’ (temporary flight restriction)?

Thanks for any help!

Phil Bates 
-Artbeats 

Peter Beeh
 

I can't offer a view about the question of Helium sharpness. 
But the lens does work well in the Shotover F1. Properly rigged it's stable shooting open face (ie without glass cover) at 1000mm on an AS350. 
I have used it a lot in the F1. It's good. Biggest thing to be mindful of and manage is the gradual falloff from about T5.6 to T8(ish) once you zoom beyond about 750mm. 


Peter Beeh
Aerial Cinematographer
Sydney Australia.




_._,_._,_

Phil Bates
 

Valuable information! Thanks Peter!


On Jun 27, 2018, at 8:34 PM, Peter Beeh <peter@...> wrote:

I can't offer a view about the question of Helium sharpness. 
But the lens does work well in the Shotover F1. Properly rigged it's stable shooting open face (ie without glass cover) at 1000mm on an AS350. 
I have used it a lot in the F1. It's good. Biggest thing to be mindful of and manage is the gradual falloff from about T5.6 to T8(ish) once you zoom beyond about 750mm. 


Peter Beeh
Aerial Cinematographer
Sydney Australia.




West Coast Cine Video, Inc.
 

Can't help you with helium sensor question but if you decide to purchase we have one in PL mount . . . brand new in the factory box = $60,000

West Coast Cine Video, Inc.
 

Can't help you with the sensor question but if you decide to buy we have one in PL mount brand new in the factory box = $60,000

George Hupka
 

I tested one for a sports application when they first came out, but it was a Canon EF mount and the only EF mount body the rental house had handy was a C300, so I'm afraid  I can't help much with questions about 8K sharpness - but it looked great in HD! 

I would agree with Peter that the biggest thing is the falloff on the zoom, which isn't necessarily a problem depending on how you're using it.
--
----------
George Hupka
Director/DP
Saskatoon, Canada
Listmum, Cinematography Mailing List

Michael Grippo
 

I used it for Fox baseball playoff Doc shoots in Toronto 3 years ago at it was great. There was no other way to get the shots.

Michael Grippo csc
Michael Grippo Productions Inc.
c: 416 823 8020 




On Jul 3, 2018, at 7:53 PM, George Hupka <georgehupka@...> wrote:

I tested one for a sports application when they first came out, but it was a Canon EF mount and the only EF mount body the rental house had handy was a C300, so I'm afraid  I can't help much with questions about 8K sharpness - but it looked great in HD! 

I would agree with Peter that the biggest thing is the falloff on the zoom, which isn't necessarily a problem depending on how you're using it.
--
----------
George Hupka
Director/DP
Saskatoon, Canada
Listmum, Cinematography Mailing List

Emmanuel SUYS
 

On 28/06/18 03:02, pbates@... wrote:
Any one one the group have experience with this lens?

Is this lens sharp enough for the Helium 8K sensor?
Greetings,

 It's a great lens.  It's not to heavy, fits in a backpack but still
needs a solid head. It's not a sharp lens per se. It should be ok for an
8K, but you need contrast to remain crispy. I could clearly see a
difference when overcast or twilight or when beyond 500mm. I even switch
the 1.5 extender to cover extreme long shots. Used on a few occasions
since 2015, whilst working on the 24 Hrs of Le Mans, eitherin
combination with the Flex4K or with the Arri Mini, as recently as a few
weeks ago to cover "Pinky Pig" for Porsche. It allows me to go around
the whole track with just that lens. That's why it's on my list. Would I
use it again. For sporty/action shots/documentary no doubt. For beauty
shots or landscapes, maybe.
My 2 cents
Manny, Munich


-- 1st Asst Cinematography - 1st Asst Kinematografie - 1er Asst
Photographie Cinématographique *16-35-HD-HiSpeed *HiSpeed Operator
*Digital On Set Supervision *bvk-SSFV *European based *Mobil
+491608036889 *emmanuel at suys.de *Cinematography Mailing List
Moderator - CML

Mitch Gross
 

I recently tested a Fujinon 25x16.5 2/3” zoom along with an HDx35 adapter to cover Super-35. That’s the equivalent of a 45-1125. I was testing in 4K not 8K, but the lens was tack sharp, contrasty and clean. Much better at the long end than most other lenses I tried. The lens also has a built in doubler that I only looked at briefly because I didn’t need it, but it looked quite good as well.

I only bring this up because someone said they used the Canon and it was “the only way” to get the needed shots. This would work too.


Mitch Gross
Cinema Product Manager
Panasonic Systems Solutions Company of North America
New York

Michael O'Halloran
 

I use the sigma art 50-100 at 4K and its very sharp
M


On 4 Jul 2018, at 00:53, George Hupka <georgehupka@...> wrote:

I tested one for a sports application when they first came out, but it was a Canon EF mount and the only EF mount body the rental house had handy was a C300, so I'm afraid  I can't help much with questions about 8K sharpness - but it looked great in HD! 

I would agree with Peter that the biggest thing is the falloff on the zoom, which isn't necessarily a problem depending on how you're using it.
--
----------
George Hupka
Director/DP
Saskatoon, Canada
Listmum, Cinematography Mailing List