Topics

Comparison of Spherical and Anamorphic at various SensorSizes #poll

Gavin Greenwalt
 

Yeah it’s tough to say which I like “best”.  G is definitely a safe choice since it’s so technically strong, possibly VV but also possibly just an overbuilt lens.  v is what you would expect from a classic anamorphic (which I generally love) but for such a boring scene (no offense, obviously that’s the point!) I find the normally charming imperfections of anamorphic just distracting and overly intrusive for this test.

I have to say as a side note, bravo on matching different cameras\grades so well!  You could intercut any of the shots and I wouldn’t be able to tell if those are in fact different brand sensors\film!  The lenses definitely have a much larger effect than anything else so you’ve done a really good job of controlling the variables.  

Gavin Greenwalt
Pixels and Light
Seattle, WA

Ganzo
 

I understand what Gavin says with " but for such a boring scene (no offense, obviously that’s the point!) I find the normally charming imperfections of anamorphic just distracting and overly intrusive for this test. " BUT, to me the anamorphic breathing/focus shift vs. spherical focus shift is akin to the difference between using a dolly vs. a zoom to shift the viewers focus. It draws you back and forth where the spherical rack is almost invisible and might take the viewer more time to realize the shift in focus and lose the intent of the story device.
Roberto Schaefer, asc,aic,
Munich, Germany

Geoff Boyle
 

Over 1,000 people have looked at the web page on CML, nearly 4,000 have watched on Vimeo direct.

 

58 have voted

 

What’s the bloody point.

 

Cheers

 

Geoff Boyle NSC FBKS

Cinematographer

Zoetermeer

www.gboyle.co.uk

+31 (0) 637 155 076

 

Steven Morton
 

Sorry Geoff, but I've just downloaded the UHD 4K versions now and played
them on my 65" 4K teev.

I can't stop watching the specular reflections on the two light bulbs
behind your mates head. They are most interesting, well anyway I think
they are informative.

I'll watch 'em again and vote shortly

Steve Morton FRPS
Scientific Imaging
Monash University
Melbourne, Australia

Paul Curtis
 

On 23 Mar 2018, at 21:17, Ganzo <ganzo@...> wrote:
charming imperfections of anamorphic just distracting and overly intrusive for this test. " BUT, to me the anamorphic breathing/focus shift vs. spherical focus shift is akin to the difference between using a dolly vs. a zoom to shift the viewers focus. It draws you back and forth where the spherical rack is almost invisible and might take the viewer more time to realize the shift in focus and lose the intent of the story device.
Roberto Schaefer, asc,aic,
Munich, Germany
I just heard a collective gasp of epiphany at all those lens manufactures with lenses that breath - 'it's a feature now, it's a form of in-lens dolly!'

I did download the originals but struggling finding something that will open DNx mp4 files... odd.

cheers
Paul

Paul Curtis, VFX & Post | Canterbury, UK

Argyris_Theos_cml
 

"What’s the bloody point"

Oh we'll,
:-)
People tend to hide behind others.
They feel insecure about their choice, even if they are anonymous.
Also,
If you are not fond of the last lens (I do not remember which option, it is last in the site and voting list) then it is getting hard to distinguish the differences. This causes more anxiety. So, my dear Geoff, pardon me for saying but do not expect a big percentage of viewers to become voters.
Best
A.

Argyris Theos, gsc
DoP, Athens Greece,
theos@...
+306944725315
Skype Argyris.Theos
www.vimeo.com/argyristheos
via iPhone

24 Μαρ 2018, 10:58 π.μ., ο/η "Geoff Boyle" <geoff@...> έγραψε:

What’s the bloody point

Mark Kenfield
 

We use the critical combination of mandatory voting, punitive fines and sausage sizzles to attract high levels of voter participation at Australian elections. Without those three key incitements working in concert, I'm not sure how you get anyone to vote on anything these days.

That said, it's still a pretty pathetic effort ladies and gentlemen of the CML. Please just click on the link below and vote for your favourite. It takes all of 30 seconds to do, and it helps us get more useful tests in the long run:

https://cml.news/g/cml-glass/vote?pollid=1371

Cheers,

Mark Kenfield
Cinematographer
Melbourne

0400 044 500

On 24 March 2018 at 22:18, Argyris_Theos_cml <cml@...> wrote:
"What’s the bloody point"

Oh we'll,
:-)
People tend to hide behind others.
They feel insecure about their choice, even if they are anonymous.
Also,
If you are not fond of the last lens (I do not remember which option, it is last in the site and voting list) then it is getting hard to distinguish the differences. This causes more anxiety. So, my dear Geoff, pardon me for saying but do not expect a big percentage of viewers to become voters.
Best
A.

Argyris Theos, gsc
DoP, Athens Greece,
theos@...
+306944725315
Skype Argyris.Theos
www.vimeo.com/argyristheos
via iPhone

Nick Paton
 

I’ve tried watching a million times. The adsl is do pathetically slow I can’t watch any of the damn clips in 1080! I’d vote if I could.

Nick Paton ACS
Cinematographer
+61 (0)411 596581
Brisbane, Australia


Agent 
+61 (0)2 8458 1300


On 24 Mar 2018, at 6:58 pm, Geoff Boyle <geoff@...> wrote:

Over 1,000 people have looked at the web page on CML, nearly 4,000 have watched on Vimeo direct.

 

58 have voted

 

What’s the bloody point.

 

Cheers

 

Geoff Boyle NSC FBKS

Cinematographer

Zoetermeer

www.gboyle.co.uk

+31 (0) 637 155 076

 

Geoff Boyle
 

I'm not going to identify which is which until a lot more of you vote!

I can wait.

Cheers
Geoff Boyle NSC
Cinematographer
EU based
+31 (0)637155076

On 24 Mar 2018, at 13:09, Nick Paton <nick@...> wrote:
I’ve tried watching a million times. The adsl is do pathetically slow I can’t watch any of the damn clips in 1080! I’d vote if I could.

Nick Paton ACS
Cinematographer
+61 (0)411 596581
Brisbane, Australia


Agent 
+61 (0)2 8458 1300


On 24 Mar 2018, at 6:58 pm, Geoff Boyle < geoff@...> wrote:

Over 1,000 people have looked at the web page on CML, nearly 4,000 have watched on Vimeo direct.

 

58 have voted

 

What’s the bloody point.

 

Cheers

 

Geoff Boyle NSC FBKS

Cinematographer

Zoetermeer

www.gboyle.co.uk

+31 (0) 637 155 076

 

Ganzo
 

Paul Curtis wrote:
3:06 am   
I just heard a collective gasp of epiphany at all those lens manufactures with lenses that breath - 'it's a feature now, it's a form of in-lens dolly!'

I did NOT write all lenses that breathe. I was referring specifically to the so called "anamorphic bump" when shifting focus. That is very different from a spherical lens that breathes. Let's be clear and truthful when making declarations please.
Roberto Schaefer,
Alps, Germany

Paul Curtis
 

On 24 Mar 2018, at 18:03, Ganzo <ganzo@...> wrote:
I did NOT write all lenses that breathe. I was referring specifically to the so called "anamorphic bump" when shifting focus. That is very different from a spherical lens that breathes. Let's be clear and truthful when making declarations please.
Apologies, i was making a bit of a joke at the expense of marketing departments

At the same time i totally understood what you meant with regard to that test and anamorphics, totally valid and i should have added that before.

cheers
Paul

Paul Curtis, VFX & Post | Canterbury, UK

Justin Lovell
 

Hey Geoff, 

Don't give up hope. 

Heck, you probably have better numbers responding then the political voting poles. 😂

Views are important, shows people are taking value from your efforts.  Thank you.

Justin Lovell 
Cinematographer || Storyteller

Associate Member, Canadian Society of Cinematographers 

Talk: M. 416.803.1101 / O. 416.901.5332 
Reel: www.justinlovell.com
Social: @justin_lovell

°sent with tpyos from my moible

Ben Rowland, Yonder Blue Films
 

I voted. I lean towards 1 as my favorite. C is my 2nd favorite - while it doesn’t jump out at you, sometimes that’s what you’re looking for in a lens and sometimes it isn’t. Many times for me that’s the case though - I need something without many flaws. On the flip side V breathes a fair amount, yet it actually was my 3rd favorite. It is an interesting point that sometimes focus breathing, something we often look at as a flaw, does actually “pull” you towards that character. Had the camera been moving, the breathing would have been more subtle. That one definitely got me rethinking some notions I have. Q was the 4th favorite for me. 

I will leave it at that and encourage others to take the time to vote. Thanks Geoff for the comparisons and I look forward to the reveal. 

All the best,
Benjamin Rowland 
Director, Atlanta (I wear many hats though and film many places)
--
Ben Rowland

Adam Wilt
 

Over 1,000 people have looked at the web page on CML, nearly 4,000 have watched on Vimeo direct.
58 have voted
What’s the bloody point.

Welcome to the wonderful world of online polling. Your response rate is, as far as I can determine, absolutely bloody typical.  :-)

I voted, but only after watching ‘em three times over three days. Part of the problem is that there ain’t one “right” answer. It’s like asking which is better: bittersweet chocolate, coffee, or really good guacamole. Of course chocolate is the only rational answer, but it’s not right for all situations: sometimes coffee is just what’s needed and other times there’s no substitute for great guac. 

In this case I picked the rendering that was closest to what I like to see for the majority of things I need to do, but I have very boring tastes: I usually want the image to be crisp and natural and have unfussy bokeh, a “just the facts, ma’am” picture that doesn’t get in the way of the story. Some days, though, I really love anamorphic bokeh and “breathing dolly” and lots of other “character”. Today just wasn’t one of those days.

Adam Wilt
technical services: consulting / coding / camerawork
Vancouver WA USA (no, not that Vancouver, the other one)

Ed David <ed.david@...>
 

also it was hard to find the link to vote. took me 10 minutes to notice it was only with your email.  maybe include the link in the description of the videos?



ed david | cinematographer
WWW.EDDAVIDDP.COM   /   917.449.0739

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Justin Lovell <just.love.film@...> wrote:
Hey Geoff, 

Don't give up hope. 

Heck, you probably have better numbers responding then the political voting poles. 😂

Views are important, shows people are taking value from your efforts.  Thank you.

Justin Lovell 
Cinematographer || Storyteller

Associate Member, Canadian Society of Cinematographers 

Talk: M. 416.803.1101 / O. 416.901.5332 
Reel: www.justinlovell.com
Social: @justin_lovell

°sent with tpyos from my moible

Roy H. Wagner ASC
 

Geoff, I applaud your extraordinary tests. I personally have a problem evaluating tests on anything other than a large theater screen. If one of our ranks who has access to theater presentation in each community could offer a screening I would love to participate. This is always the problem with every test that each of us does.

Roy
Roy H. Wagner ASC/hFRPS
Director of Photography

Argyris_Theos_cml
 

"also it was hard to find the link to vote. "
I found it on the web site. Top of the videos page
A.

Argyris Theos, gsc
DoP, Athens Greece,
theos@...
+306944725315
Skype Argyris.Theos
www.vimeo.com/argyristheos
via iPhone

25 Μαρ 2018, 12:39 π.μ., ο/η "Ed David" <ed.david@...> έγραψε:

also it was hard to find the link to vote.

Colin Elves
 

My apologies! I kept opening the page and hoping be able to take the time to properly look. But kids/life/work got in the way. 

Anyway. I had a look. I like G: 

Sharp, crisp, warm colour, good contrast, and minimal breathing and to my eye is the most ‘invisible’ lens. 

Colin Elves
Director of Photography
Berlin/London.




On 24 Mar 2018, at 09:58, Geoff Boyle <geoff@...> wrote:

Over 1,000 people have looked at the web page on CML, nearly 4,000 have watched on Vimeo direct.
 
58 have voted
 
What’s the bloody point.

Colin Elves
 

Also: I forgot to say. 

This test is really really great. So thank you!


Colin Elves
DoP
Berlin/London.

Colin Elves
 

Oh yeah! Thanks. I couldn’t work that one out. I thought you just had to reply to this email. Doh!


Colin Elves
Director of Photography
Berlin/London




On 24 Mar 2018, at 23:39, Ed David <ed.david@...> wrote:

also it was hard to find the link to vote. took me 10 minutes to notice it was only with your email.  maybe include the link in the description of the videos?



ed david | cinematographer
WWW.EDDAVIDDP.COM   /   917.449.0739

Previous Topic Next Topic