Topics

Mamiya Sekor 645 PL-mount conversion 16-lens set

Tobias Pekelharing
 
Edited

Hi all,

Getting a lot of questions about these so I thought I'd post this here. It took a year and a half and various copies to put this set together but here it is:
The Mamiya 645 lens set consists of 16 lenses from 24mm to 300mm. A Fisheye, two Macro’s and two Zooms. All have been converted to Duclos hard-mount PL-mounts and shimmed for correct backfocus. All lenses now have de-clicked and dampened apertures, 80mm fronts and focus gears. These lenses cover Full Frame or VistaVision easily, as they were originally built to cover the 4.5x6 format. Their performance is rather spectacular. We tested them on Red Monstro, Sony Venice and Alexa LF with stunning results.
I did most of the declicking/dampening/PL-mount conversion work myself, with help from the amazing guys at Camalot Amsterdam. They also did the backfocus shimming and put on all the focus gears. The lens case and caps are custom made.

The PL-mounts are made by Duclos and are beautifully machined. They consist of two parts, allowing for very easy backfocus shimming like any other professional cine lens. Great job guys! Check out their Mamiya page for more info: https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/mamiyapl

Please note that the 24mm Fisheye that I'm selling is Maxi-PL, not regular PL-mount like these.

This set is located at Camalot Amsterdam. Any questions please ask. I have no affiliation with any brand, just a lens lover.







 

Tobias Pekelharing
Director
 

Holy Fools Amsterdam www.holyfools.nl
Czar Brussels www.czar.be
Odelay Films London www.odelayfilms.com

Burschi Wojnar
 

Where can I find a link to price etc.

Kind regards,

Burschi Wojnar
Dublin l Ireland


Cinematographer
Aerial Cinematographer
Underwater Technician
Camera Operator
Widescreen l Arri Alexa l RED Epic-W l Sony A7S mkii


Photography is Truth. The Cinema is Truth Twenty-four Times Per Second.
- Jean-Luc Godard


On 20 Jun 2018, at 08:35, Tobias Pekelharing <cml@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Getting a lot of questions about these so I thought I'd post this here. It took a year and a half and various copies to put this set together but here it is:
The Mamiya 645 lens set consists of 16 lenses from 24mm to 300mm. A Fisheye, two Macro’s and two Zooms. All have been converted to Duclos hard-mount PL-mounts and shimmed for correct backfocus. All lenses now have de-clicked and dampened apertures, 80mm fronts and focus gears. These lenses cover Full Frame or VistaVision easily, as they were originally built to cover the 4.5x6 format. Their performance is rather spectacular. We tested them on Red Monstro, Sony Venice and Alexa LF with stunning results.
I did most of the declicking/dampening/PL-mount conversion work myself, with help from the amazing guys at Camalot Amsterdam. They also did the backfocus shimming and put on all the focus gears. The lens case and caps are custom made.

The PL-mounts are made by Duclos and are beautifully machined. They consist of two parts, allowing for very easy backfocus shimming like any other professional cine lens. Great job guys! Check out their Mamiya page for more info: https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/mamiyapl

Please note that the 24mm Fisheye that I'm selling is Maxi-PL, not regular PL-mount like these.

This set is located at Camalot Amsterdam. Any questions please ask. I have no affiliation with any brand, just a lens lover.

<IMG_2734.jpg>

<ORG_DSC08766.jpg>

<IMG_2720.jpg>

Darryl Wood
 

I can offer this service. Mail me for pricing.

Regards

Darryl Wood
Spinning Mirror
34 Ironbark Ave
Flagstaff Hill
SA 5159

www.spinningmirror.com
EMAIL: smirror@...
SKYPE: darrylwood
FACEBOOK: spinningmirror@...
Whatsapp & Viber
MOBILE: +61 409 690 406
OFFICE: +61 8 8358 6021

From: <cml-glass@...> on behalf of Burschill Wonjar <burschiwojnar@...>
Reply-To: <cml-glass@...>
Date: Wednesday, 20 June 2018 at 9:10 pm
To: <cml-glass@...>
Subject: Re: [glass] Mamiya Sekor 645 PL-mount conversion 16-lens set

Where can I find a link to price etc.

Kind regards,

Burschi Wojnar
Dublin l Ireland


Cinematographer
Aerial Cinematographer
Underwater Technician
Camera Operator
Widescreen l Arri Alexa l RED Epic-W l Sony A7S mkii


Photography is Truth. The Cinema is Truth Twenty-four Times Per Second.
- Jean-Luc Godard


On 20 Jun 2018, at 08:35, Tobias Pekelharing <cml@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Getting a lot of questions about these so I thought I'd post this here. It took a year and a half and various copies to put this set together but here it is:
The Mamiya 645 lens set consists of 16 lenses from 24mm to 300mm. A Fisheye, two Macro’s and two Zooms. All have been converted to Duclos hard-mount PL-mounts and shimmed for correct backfocus. All lenses now have de-clicked and dampened apertures, 80mm fronts and focus gears. These lenses cover Full Frame or VistaVision easily, as they were originally built to cover the 4.5x6 format. Their performance is rather spectacular. We tested them on Red Monstro, Sony Venice and Alexa LF with stunning results.
I did most of the declicking/dampening/PL-mount conversion work myself, with help from the amazing guys at Camalot Amsterdam. They also did the backfocus shimming and put on all the focus gears. The lens case and caps are custom made.

The PL-mounts are made by Duclos and are beautifully machined. They consist of two parts, allowing for very easy backfocus shimming like any other professional cine lens. Great job guys! Check out their Mamiya page for more info: https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/mamiyapl

Please note that the 24mm Fisheye that I'm selling is Maxi-PL, not regular PL-mount like these.

This set is located at Camalot Amsterdam. Any questions please ask. I have no affiliation with any brand, just a lens lover.

<IMG_2734.jpg>

<ORG_DSC08766.jpg>

<IMG_2720.jpg>

Ben Castricone
 

thank     you  for  the   info,  we  see   sel very    little  prime   lenses.   mainly  f mount,  ef mount  or   c  mount

thanks  anyway

best  regards

ben

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM, Tobias Pekelharing <cml@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Getting a lot of questions about these so I thought I'd post this here. It took a year and a half and various copies to put this set together but here it is:
The Mamiya 645 lens set consists of 16 lenses from 24mm to 300mm. A Fisheye, two Macro’s and two Zooms. All have been converted to Duclos hard-mount PL-mounts and shimmed for correct backfocus. All lenses now have de-clicked and dampened apertures, 80mm fronts and focus gears. These lenses cover Full Frame or VistaVision easily, as they were originally built to cover the 4.5x6 format. Their performance is rather spectacular. We tested them on Red Monstro, Sony Venice and Alexa LF with stunning results.
I did most of the declicking/dampening/PL-mount conversion work myself, with help from the amazing guys at Camalot Amsterdam. They also did the backfocus shimming and put on all the focus gears. The lens case and caps are custom made.

The PL-mounts are made by Duclos and are beautifully machined. They consist of two parts, allowing for very easy backfocus shimming like any other professional cine lens. Great job guys! Check out their Mamiya page for more info: https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/mamiyapl

Please note that the 24mm Fisheye that I'm selling is Maxi-PL, not regular PL-mount like these.

This set is located at Camalot Amsterdam. Any questions please ask. I have no affiliation with any brand, just a lens lover.








--
Uniforce Sales and Engineering                 510 657-4000 x105
39899 Balentine Dr Ste 335                      www.uniforcesales.com
Newark,CA  94560

Tobias Pekelharing
 

Sorry for the confusion Burschi but this is not a for sale post, rather to provide information to others wanting to build a Mamiya PL set.

 

Best, Tobias.

Matthew Schroeder
 

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for sharing about the lenses.  You mentioned it took various copies to assemble this set... What were the issues you encountered?
Pulling focus on these must be a joy for the ac :)  
Also curious why you included both the 1.9 and 2.8 versions of the 80mm. 

Any videos from the set you could link to?

best,
Matthew Schroeder
dp, nyc 

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Ben Castricone <BCAST@...> wrote:
thank     you  for  the   info,  we  see   sel very    little  prime   lenses.   mainly  f mount,  ef mount  or   c  mount

thanks  anyway

best  regards

ben

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM, Tobias Pekelharing <cml@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Getting a lot of questions about these so I thought I'd post this here. It took a year and a half and various copies to put this set together but here it is:
The Mamiya 645 lens set consists of 16 lenses from 24mm to 300mm. A Fisheye, two Macro’s and two Zooms. All have been converted to Duclos hard-mount PL-mounts and shimmed for correct backfocus. All lenses now have de-clicked and dampened apertures, 80mm fronts and focus gears. These lenses cover Full Frame or VistaVision easily, as they were originally built to cover the 4.5x6 format. Their performance is rather spectacular. We tested them on Red Monstro, Sony Venice and Alexa LF with stunning results.
I did most of the declicking/dampening/PL-mount conversion work myself, with help from the amazing guys at Camalot Amsterdam. They also did the backfocus shimming and put on all the focus gears. The lens case and caps are custom made.

The PL-mounts are made by Duclos and are beautifully machined. They consist of two parts, allowing for very easy backfocus shimming like any other professional cine lens. Great job guys! Check out their Mamiya page for more info: https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/mamiyapl

Please note that the 24mm Fisheye that I'm selling is Maxi-PL, not regular PL-mount like these.

This set is located at Camalot Amsterdam. Any questions please ask. I have no affiliation with any brand, just a lens lover.








--
Uniforce Sales and Engineering                 510 657-4000 x105
39899 Balentine Dr Ste 335                      www.uniforcesales.com
Newark,CA  94560

Tobias Pekelharing
 

Hi Matthew,

We tested all lenses on different cameras as well as on the various optical projectors at Camalot. Because we had multiple samples at hand we were able to compare. Most lenses were fantastic, some had issues and were replaced. The optical projector is very revealing and unforgiving in this sense which is great. These are vintage still lenses and not all of them are still perfect. The 210mm f/4 I took out altogether because it underperformed compared to the others and it is too close to the 200mm f/2.8, which is fantastic.

The 80mm f/1.9 is of course a gem and a bit more ‘dreamy’ wide open. The 80mm f/2.8 is a perfect match to the others and absolutely tiny and light.

We shot a bunch of tests but none of it is online yet. Will post again when we have something online.

Grtz, Tobias.



Tobias Pekelharing
Director


Holy Fools NL
Czar BE
Odelay Films UK

On 20 Jun 2018, at 18:16, Matthew Schroeder <tunnelvision@...> wrote:

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for sharing about the lenses.  You mentioned it took various copies to assemble this set... What were the issues you encountered?
Pulling focus on these must be a joy for the ac :)  
Also curious why you included both the 1.9 and 2.8 versions of the 80mm. 

Any videos from the set you could link to?

best,
Matthew Schroeder
dp, nyc 

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Ben Castricone <BCAST@...> wrote:
thank     you  for  the   info,  we  see   sel very    little  prime   lenses.   mainly  f mount,  ef mount  or   c  mount

thanks  anyway

best  regards

ben

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM, Tobias Pekelharing <cml@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Getting a lot of questions about these so I thought I'd post this here. It took a year and a half and various copies to put this set together but here it is:
The Mamiya 645 lens set consists of 16 lenses from 24mm to 300mm. A Fisheye, two Macro’s and two Zooms. All have been converted to Duclos hard-mount PL-mounts and shimmed for correct backfocus. All lenses now have de-clicked and dampened apertures, 80mm fronts and focus gears. These lenses cover Full Frame or VistaVision easily, as they were originally built to cover the 4.5x6 format. Their performance is rather spectacular. We tested them on Red Monstro, Sony Venice and Alexa LF with stunning results.
I did most of the declicking/dampening/PL-mount conversion work myself, with help from the amazing guys at Camalot Amsterdam. They also did the backfocus shimming and put on all the focus gears. The lens case and caps are custom made.

The PL-mounts are made by Duclos and are beautifully machined. They consist of two parts, allowing for very easy backfocus shimming like any other professional cine lens. Great job guys! Check out their Mamiya page for more info: https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/mamiyapl

Please note that the 24mm Fisheye that I'm selling is Maxi-PL, not regular PL-mount like these.

This set is located at Camalot Amsterdam. Any questions please ask. I have no affiliation with any brand, just a lens lover.

<IMG_2734.jpg>

<ORG_DSC08766.jpg>

<IMG_2720.jpg>






-- 
Uniforce Sales and Engineering                 510 657-4000 x105
39899 Balentine Dr Ste 335                      www.uniforcesales.com
Newark,CA  94560



Tobias Pekelharing
 

To give you an idea: quick and dirty grabs from the 300mm f/2.8 APO A on Alexa LF:




Best, Tobias.


Tobias Pekelharing
Director


Holy Fools Amsterdam www.holyfools.nl
Czar Brussels www.czar.be
Odelay Films London www.odelayfilms.com

On 20 Jun 2018, at 19:59, Tobias Pekelharing <cml@...> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

We tested all lenses on different cameras as well as on the various optical projectors at Camalot. Because we had multiple samples at hand we were able to compare. Most lenses were fantastic, some had issues and were replaced. The optical projector is very revealing and unforgiving in this sense which is great. These are vintage still lenses and not all of them are still perfect. The 210mm f/4 I took out altogether because it underperformed compared to the others and it is too close to the 200mm f/2.8, which is fantastic.

The 80mm f/1.9 is of course a gem and a bit more ‘dreamy’ wide open. The 80mm f/2.8 is a perfect match to the others and absolutely tiny and light.

We shot a bunch of tests but none of it is online yet. Will post again when we have something online.

Grtz, Tobias.



Tobias Pekelharing
Director


Holy Fools NL
Czar BE
Odelay Films UK

On 20 Jun 2018, at 18:16, Matthew Schroeder <tunnelvision@...> wrote:

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for sharing about the lenses.  You mentioned it took various copies to assemble this set... What were the issues you encountered?
Pulling focus on these must be a joy for the ac :)  
Also curious why you included both the 1.9 and 2.8 versions of the 80mm. 

Any videos from the set you could link to?

best,
Matthew Schroeder
dp, nyc 

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Ben Castricone <BCAST@...> wrote:
thank     you  for  the   info,  we  see   sel very    little  prime   lenses.   mainly  f mount,  ef mount  or   c  mount

thanks  anyway

best  regards

ben

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM, Tobias Pekelharing <cml@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Getting a lot of questions about these so I thought I'd post this here. It took a year and a half and various copies to put this set together but here it is:
The Mamiya 645 lens set consists of 16 lenses from 24mm to 300mm. A Fisheye, two Macro’s and two Zooms. All have been converted to Duclos hard-mount PL-mounts and shimmed for correct backfocus. All lenses now have de-clicked and dampened apertures, 80mm fronts and focus gears. These lenses cover Full Frame or VistaVision easily, as they were originally built to cover the 4.5x6 format. Their performance is rather spectacular. We tested them on Red Monstro, Sony Venice and Alexa LF with stunning results.
I did most of the declicking/dampening/PL-mount conversion work myself, with help from the amazing guys at Camalot Amsterdam. They also did the backfocus shimming and put on all the focus gears. The lens case and caps are custom made.

The PL-mounts are made by Duclos and are beautifully machined. They consist of two parts, allowing for very easy backfocus shimming like any other professional cine lens. Great job guys! Check out their Mamiya page for more info: https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/mamiyapl

Please note that the 24mm Fisheye that I'm selling is Maxi-PL, not regular PL-mount like these.

This set is located at Camalot Amsterdam. Any questions please ask. I have no affiliation with any brand, just a lens lover.

<IMG_2734.jpg>

<ORG_DSC08766.jpg>

<IMG_2720.jpg>






-- 
Uniforce Sales and Engineering                 510 657-4000 x105
39899 Balentine Dr Ste 335                      www.uniforcesales.com
Newark,CA  94560




Chris
 

Resurrecting this older thread.  Tobias, can you please comment on which version(s) of the Sekor lenses you used. Sekor C, C/N etc.  I am building a set myself here in the States.
Thanks! Chris

Nathan Thompson
 

I just built a set 1 by 1 from eBay of Sekor-C primes from 24mm fisheye to 300mm for our rental house. Almost all f2.8, with the 80mm f1.9 and f4 Macro. I got them cinemodded by Simmod. I've heard the newer N's are "better", which is why I got the older C's. Because in my opinion sometimes better isn't better. I often prefer older series, and these are beautiful. They're still very sharp. And it's my understanding the newer designs have more plastic in them, whereas the Sekor-C are more metal. So I've heard. Please verify for yourself. Still have more tests to do, but I'm pleased so far. Here's a photo of the nearly complete set:

DP - Contrast Visuals - Nashville

Tobias Pekelharing
 

Hi Chris,

This set is all C/N, except for the 24mm and 70mm which were only made in C. They all match very well and performance is very good. Shooting an ad on them next week, will post a link when it’s finished.

Good luck!

Tobias Pekelharing
Director


Holy Fools Amsterdam www.holyfools.nl
Czar Brussels www.czar.be
Odelay Films London www.odelayfilms.com

On 7 Oct 2018, at 05:44, Chris via Cml.News <ohnsdoc=yahoo.com@...> wrote:

Resurrecting this older thread.  Tobias, can you please comment on which version(s) of the Sekor lenses you used. Sekor C, C/N etc.  I am building a set myself here in the States.
Thanks! Chris

Chris
 

Thank you both for your insight.  These lenses are getting harder and harder to find. Dropped off 35/45/55/80 1.9 at Duclos on Friday. They are all older Sekor C but projected very well.
Took a big chance on color match but I am frankly worn out buying and reselling lenses that didn't work.  Will continue the search for 80 and 120 macros as well as 70 and 150. 

Regarding the C vs C/N thing, there seems to be an internet consensus that the coating and sharpness as better with the C/N series. If I every make it to Amsterdam maybe we will compare them side by side...

Will post photos of the set when I complete. Best to you both!

Chris

Lukas Kronsteiner
 

I would also be interessted how well the Mamiya 645 vintage glas is keeping up with modern lenses maybe it is worth thinking about including them in the next lens test. I am also building up a set of 7 lenses right now. And its true it takes some time to properly match the right lenses. Right now I have a 150mm 1:3,5 and a 210mm 1:4 that I am trying to resell. So if someone is interessted... I will also post this item in the "for sale" group where it belongs!

Lukas
Camera
Austria

 

I'm blown away by my Hasselblad lenses adapted…..the 3D quality they give…..love them…..I have a selection of Zeiss 50mm, 80mm, 150mm both C and F lenses using the ‘depth of field’ activated and rotating the aperture ring……also used as we speak in current photography jobs (I'm a film photographer)….I chuckle to myself when I don’t tell people I use film initially and they remark on how distinctive the shots are haha…last job shot was Data Centres and on location fibre cable installations - they provide the ‘internet service' for William Hill, Lottoland, BWin, Mansion. Bet365, Ladbrokes and the other gaming companies based here in Gibraltar

Stephen Perera
Design + Photography
Gibraltar
+34667661936

On 8 Oct 2018, at 16:45, kronsteiner.lukas@... wrote:

I would also be interessted how well the Mamiya 645 vintage glas is keeping up with modern lenses maybe it is worth thinking about including them in the next lens test. I am also building up a set of 7 lenses right now. And its true it takes some time to properly match the right lenses. Right now I have a 150mm 1:3,5 and a 210mm 1:4 that I am trying to resell. So if someone is interessted... I will also post this item in the "for sale" group where it belongs!

Lukas
Camera
Austria

Chris
 

Stephen,

What adapter are you using and on what camera?  I have a full set of Hasselblad lenses but have not found a good adapter for PL mount that allow for shimming of the back focus so that focus marks line up.
Would be great if you can share your solution please. Thanks

Chris

Jeff Barklage
 

I would love to know this too...back in the day I worked with David Wakeley, BSC on MILK MONEY and he had his own set of 'Blad primes that we used on a 535A body....I never knew how we got those lenses to seat on that Arri body...



On Monday, October 8, 2018, Chris via Cml.News <ohnsdoc=yahoo.com@...> wrote:
Stephen,

What adapter are you using and on what camera?  I have a full set of Hasselblad lenses but have not found a good adapter for PL mount that allow for shimming of the back focus so that focus marks line up.
Would be great if you can share your solution please. Thanks

Chris



--
cheers,
Jeff Barklage, s.o.c.
www.barklage.com
agent: Orlando Agency http://orlando-agency.com 

Lukas Kronsteiner
 

I have found this link, I have not ordered an adapter myself yet but I will try the mamiya and the Pentacon adapter. The techspecs look promising.
https://c7adapters.com/en/product/hasselblad_v_-_pl_mount/46

Lukas
Camera
Austria

daveblackham@...
 

We have a set of these lenses mainly N and C. They have a look all of them own which is is more modern and contemporary, its not a classic look. Expect them to breathe because the do. We have tilt shift mounts for them too. They are easy to mount and relativly inexpensive and very well built. They arnt for every one but what what to do well they do really well. Perhaps with the crop of large sensor cameras emerging they will get more use. Probably we will build some more sets as they are becoming more scarce.

Dave Blackham
Esprit Film and Television Limited
UK

 

I use 3 adapters for my Hasselblads and all work great……Fotodiox Hasselblad to Sony E mount……Fotodiox Hasselblad to Nikon F mount (then with Nikon to Aaton mount for use on Aaton XTR 16mm camera) and Hasselblad to M42 mount….I can’t comment on Hasselblad to PL mount I'm afraid…..sorry to disappoint
No focus issues at all with any…...

Stephe Perera
Design + Photography
Gibraltar
+34667661936

On 9 Oct 2018, at 09:17, daveblackham via Cml.News <daveblackham=mac.com@...> wrote:

We have a set of these lenses mainly N and C. They have a look all of them own which is is more modern and contemporary, its not a classic look. Expect them to breathe because the do. We have tilt shift mounts for them too. They are easy to mount and relativly inexpensive and very well built. They arnt for every one but what what to do well they do really well. Perhaps with the crop of large sensor cameras emerging they will get more use. Probably we will build some more sets as they are becoming more scarce.

Dave Blackham
Esprit Film and Television Limited
UK

Nathan Thompson
 

The C7 Mamiya 645 PL adapter worried me, because it lists a "Crop factor of x2.2 (for super 35mm frame)". So we went with the Mamiya PL adapter that Les Bosher makes. 

We're currently leaving the Mamiyas in their original mount, rather than doing a PL re-house at Duclos, because the "Kipon Baveyes Ultra 0.7x Adapter for Mamiya 645 to Sony E-Mount" adapter allows you to get an even larger than full-frame field of view from a full-frame Sony Sensor. I'm dying to test this on the Sony Venice. 

Nathan Thompson

Owner | DP | Director

615.693.9917

mail | web | fb | in