Topics

How to make photo backing "out of focus"

John Tarver
 

Hey All,

I'm working on a studio show and looking for a way to soften the look of some of the photo backings.  No way to do it with depth of field given the look of the show.  I'm thinking about maybe Hampshire frost on the windows, but that's a bit too heavy.  Some kind of scrim material?  Love to get thought from those who have done this....

Cheers,

John Tarver, csc
DP in Toronto.

caros@...
 

Hi John, 
there’s an 1/8 Hampshire available from Lee Filters. The number is 258 - helped me before to only very slightly change a reflection on a mirror. 
So i could imagine that would be nice for your idea. 

Cheers Carolina 

Carolina Schmidtholstein 

Lighting Gaffer based in London 

Carolina.lighting@... 

imdb.me/carolinaschmidtholstein 

John Tarver
 

Carolina wrote:
there’s an 1/8 Hampshire available from Lee Filters. The number is 258 - helped me before to only very slightly change a reflection on a mirror. 
So i could imagine that would be nice for your idea. 

Cheers Carolina 

Good idea.  I've never tried the lighter versions of Hampshire.  
Thanks!
John Tarver, csc.

Andy Cook
 

I would concur with the 1/8 Hampshire. I’ve done this and it works. For larger areas you can use a lavender or single scrim like they do in the theater. 
Best, 
Andy Cook
Chicagogaffer.com
708-476-5811




On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:11 AM, caros@... wrote:

Hi John, 
there’s an 1/8 Hampshire available from Lee Filters. The number is 258 - helped me before to only very slightly change a reflection on a mirror. 
So i could imagine that would be nice for your idea. 

Cheers Carolina 

Carolina Schmidtholstein 

Lighting Gaffer based in London 

Carolina.lighting@... 

imdb.me/carolinaschmidtholstein 

RICK SIEGEL
 

Greetings John,
Consider 1/8 Hampshire or 1/4 Hampshire on those windows.  It works for me about 97% of the time.

Rick Siegel
Director of Photography 
NYC

 

Donald Bryant
 

Here in Mexico I’ve used black scrim which can be bought in rolls at major textiles stores.

Make sure no light falls on it! depending on the scrim it’s ½ stop to a full stop light loss.

Cheers.

Donald Bryant, AMC

Director de Fotografía

Director of Photography

Mexico

Web: cinefotografo.com



On Oct 20, 2018, 9:54 AM -0500, John Tarver via Cml.News <johntdp=mac.com@...>, wrote:
Hey All,

I'm working on a studio show and looking for a way to soften the look of some of the photo backings.  No way to do it with depth of field given the look of the show.  I'm thinking about maybe Hampshire frost on the windows, but that's a bit too heavy.  Some kind of scrim material?  Love to get thought from those who have done this....

Cheers,

John Tarver, csc
DP in Toronto.

Mako Koiwai
 

Theatrical scrim in front of the backings was the traditional method.

makofoto, s. pas, ca