Web Analytics

FS7 Colors (was: Budget Camera Skin Tone)


Jan Klier
 

That’s a fair distinction.

However, at the below $10K market these options are limited. We were speaking of the FS7, which does not record RAW natively but can via the Odyssey record CDNG. It also has the ProRes option on the 7Q+ but at that time I believe it’s no longer un-de-mosaiced.

Jan Klier
DP NYC

On May 17, 2019, at 12:11 PM, Mark Weingartner, ASC via Cml.News <vfxmark=me.com@...> wrote:

Don’t conflate RAW with uncompressed.
I just shot a Sony Venice job and recorded X-OCN LT which is the most compressed of the three “flavors” of RAW (ie not de-bayered) recording formats available.

I am using the term RAW in the sense of un-de-mosaiced.



alister@...
 

Don’t forget that The FS7/FS5 etc can now record ProRes Raw via a Shogun, CDNG is not the only choice. A very nice format that gives a very compact and easy to work with 12 bit raw file. At the moment only supported by FCP-X, Compressor and Edius, but I’m sure in time this will open up further. 

Alister Chapman

DoP - Stereographer
UK Mobile +44 7711 152226
US Mobile +1(216)298-1977


www.xdcam-user.com    1.5 million hits, 100,000 visits from over 45,000 unique visitors every month!  Film and Video production techniques, reviews and news.


Rakesh Malik
 

ProResRaw is also supported in Scratch and BaseLight.
-----------------------------


On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 9:28 AM <alister@...> wrote:
Don’t forget that The FS7/FS5 etc can now record ProRes Raw via a Shogun, CDNG is not the only choice. A very nice format that gives a very compact and easy to work with 12 bit raw file. At the moment only supported by FCP-X, Compressor and Edius, but I’m sure in time this will open up further. 

Alister Chapman

DoP - Stereographer
UK Mobile +44 7711 152226
US Mobile +1(216)298-1977


www.xdcam-user.com    1.5 million hits, 100,000 visits from over 45,000 unique visitors every month!  Film and Video production techniques, reviews and news.


Mark Weingartner, ASC
 



On 17May, 2019, at 11:19 11, Jan Klier <jan@...> wrote:

 It also has the ProRes option on the 7Q+ but at that time I believe it’s no longer un-de-mosaiced.

Correct - and as an FS7-specific conversation no disagreement…   though I wonder if a Sony O-XCN recorder will be available as a piggy-back the way the Odyssey does…  I would think not - why would they cannibalize sales of higher end cameras?  

As a side-note - working on a TV show that was shooting Alexa Log C I was  shooting some night plates that would need significant manipulation and not baking in exposure is helpful when shooting "available night” - the  16 bit X-OCN LT data rates are comparable to  10 bit AVC - makes it a no brainer especially with night skylines full of all sorts of odd architectural LED colors - why constrain colorspace or bit depth if I didn’t have to for economic reasons (download time and storage)


Weingartner
on the road


Jan Klier
 

That’s when you’d switch to the F5 (same sensor as FS7, better ergonomics) and it supports the Sony recorders and O-XCN.

Of course with a $7K recorder you're no longer in the $10K camera budget.

If I had a do-over on my FS7 purchase, I would have definitely gone the F5 route in hindsight. Since then things have moved on regardless.

Jan Klier
DP NYC

On May 17, 2019, at 1:05 PM, Mark Weingartner, ASC via Cml.News <vfxmark=me.com@...> wrote:
Correct - and as an FS7-specific conversation no disagreement… though I wonder if a Sony O-XCN recorder will be available as a piggy-back the way the Odyssey does… I would think not - why would they cannibalize sales of higher end cameras?